Learn to keep bees - 2 days £345 (deposit £100)
All you need to know to start beekeeping.
Learn to keep bees - in a weekend? Yes! Small group size guarantees lots of practical experience with personal tuition by a government bee inspector.
And you can look forward to having your own honey from your own bees!
2024 courses start in April - book now.
- stimulating and fun break in lovely Shropshire
- highly experienced friendly tutor: Charles Millar, a former government bee inspector
- at least 10 hives in our garden apiary for you to practise on
- individual attention - no more than 10 on the course
- informal friendly atmosphere
- free follow up help and advice
- for more details, click here.
What the course covers (in a mixture of practical sessions with the bees, and short focused classroom sessions):
- An understanding of key aspects honey bee behaviour and biology, which informs successful beekeeping
- How to inspect the colony to get actionable information - such as whether the colony is preparing to swarm, or needs more space.
- How to control varroa, a damaging exotic pest present in all colonies
- How to prevent your bees from swarming
- How to feed your bees
- How to catch a swarm - which might be your own, or could even be a way to get free bees to start your first hive
- How to extract, process and jar honey. From a simple way with minimal equipment for your first honey harvest, to larger scale centrifugal extraction. How to produce liquid and set honey. Tips on selling honey, including labelling and food regulations
- Where to keep your bees, and tips on siting hives
- What kit to buy, including the best types of hives, suits, smokers etc
Dates in 2024: 20/21 April; 11/12 May; 15/16 June; 27/28 July; 7/8 September. Or order a gift voucher for any date, which is valid indefinitely.
Times: Saturday and Sunday, 10.00 to 16.30 on each day. Includes lunch and cake both days.
Cost: £345 per person Or bring a friend and save £50 (£320 each). Pay only £100 pp deposit now. We will invoice the balance about 6 weeks before the course.
Accommodation is not included. There are a number of very good local Hotels, B&Bs and AirBnBs. For more details and links see here.
Any questions, or to book by 'phone: ring Charles on 07400 018636.